Saturday, May 05, 2007

How to Continue Taiji Practice after Several Years of Learning?

Some Taiji friends who practiced Taiji for several years asked these questions:
  • How does Taiji improve my health?
  • How come I don't feel anything?
  • I've learned many forms. How do I continue practicing Taiji?

Many Taiji friends think Taiji as a magic that can improve their health miraclly. They religiously took the classes and practiced the forms every week for several years. Suddenly they found even they could skillfully perform several forms but their health condition stayed the same or even got worse.

They started questioning the benefits of Taiji. Some of them stopped coming to the class and practicing. Some still come to the class but complain not receiving the benefits.

Where is the problem?

I believe the biggest problem is that some of my friends only have learned the external forms of Taiji but not how to feel the energy flow. They did not cultivate their mind to move energy within their body. They can do the Taiji forms externally but not moving the Qi internally.

"Tai chi is a martial art that begins with cultivation of the mind, learning to discard everything except the thought of moving energy within the body, to nourish it and bring it to full health and, if necessary, to defend it. Various schools of tai chi have developed their own ways of training the body, but the aim is always to keep the joints relaxed to allow a free flow of chi." (Stanford researchers record 'optimal force' of tai chi master)

There is an old Chinese saying: Practicing Quan without cultivating Gong, you ended up with nothing. (Quan refers to Martial Art; Gong refers to Gongfu or Work). It means if you only learn external forms without cultivate your mind and spirit, you will not get any benefits.

I have learned Taiji for about 7 years. I was very interested in the external forms and slow movements initially. I thought they were beautiful and relaxed. After learning several forms, I learned Taiji Form 8. It only consists of 8 different postures with 16 movements. Since I have learned other forms, I thought Taiji Form 8 was too simple to learn and it was a little boring.

Since Taiji Form 8 was simple and it requires very little space to practice, I started doing it every day before I go to bed at night. Overtime, during the practice, I started feeling the energy flow. I felt my body moves like a chain, one joint at a time and the Qi moves from Dantian to my fingers and the toes.

Last year, I took a Yoga lesson. The instructor kept reminded us that we should be observant of our body in Yoga exercises. I started pay more attention to my body reaction and flow when practicing Taiji. I have been feeling the energy flow. I have been feeling really good after every practice.

My experience is that if you perform a simple form, empty your mind, pay attention to breathing and the movements, you can start feeling the energy flow.

The rule of thumb for breathing during Taiji practice is inhale during opening movements and exhale during closing movements. Make sure your breathing is continous and smooth. Another important tip is understanding Taiji principles and applying them to the practice. With patience, you will start feeling the energy flow and getting the benefits.

Happy Taiji Practice!

No comments: