Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Reciting Practicing Key Points

When I stand there and start Zhan Zhuang or performing a Taiji routine, my mind sometime wonders to other places. I have found reciting some practicing points and feeling myself right before the practice can help me relax, concentrate and maintain proper postures. These points also support me subconsciously during the practice.

Here are the key points I recite:

Head upright
Sink the shoulders and drop the elbows
Draw the chest and pull up the back
Loosen the waist and kua
Knees bend slightly and comfortably
Feet firm on the ground
Keep the spine upright
The Qi sinks to Dantian
The energy lifts up the crown of the head

I customized these points from "Thirteen Important Points in Taijiquan". As you can see, I run from the head to the feet and back to the head. I have found they are easy to remember and helpful.

Of course, other points such as harmony, using mind intent, even speed, etc. are important too but I have found the above is a good set to get me into the mindful state.

No comments: